- Parents need to consult with the pastor of Sacred Heart prior to the Baptism.
- We would prefer parents to attend two sessions of Baptism instruction before the baptism. Godparents are invited to attend as well.
- *If you have previously taken the baptismal instruction within the last several years then, please plan on attending a step by step explanation session which can be done by appointment with the Baptism Coordinator or Pastor.
- We recommend that you make plans early in your pregnancy for a Baptismal instruction. Godparents and family are invited to attend.
- The parents should reside within the Church of the Sacred Heart boundaries.
- At least one (1) godparent must be fully initiated in the Roman Catholic Church. To be a witness, a person should have a Christian Baptism themselves.
- A godparent/sponsor must be of 16 years of age or older. Parents cannot be sponsors.
What does it mean to be a godparent?
In so far as possible a person to be baptized is to be given a godparent/sponsor who assists an adult in Christian Initiation or together with the parents presents an infant for baptism. A sponsor also helps the baptized person to lead a Christian life in keeping with Baptism, and to fulfill faithfully the obligations inherent in it. There is only one male and one female godparent.